Thursday 23 August 2012

A Manly Way To Shave




By my taste in literature, it is pretty obvious that I was born in the wrong time.  I would probably have fit in better in the late 1800's or early 1900's.  It isn't that I am totally in the wrong place.  I am no luddite, otherwise this blog wouldn't exist.  I certainly don't want to throw away all that we have gained, all that has been accomplished,  Rather, sometimes, I just like to look back on how some of the things we did were cool and stylish in a way that they no longer are.  I have heard it called retro, or steam punk, or any number of labels.  Whatever it is, there is a something lost for all that we have gained.

Though it might be preposterous, as someone said to me, but I love the old time shave.  I have been lucky enough to have a full straight razor shave on a couple of occasions.  Despite the apparent danger, I enjoyed it immensely.  If you have never had it done, get a few days of stubble on your chin and go and give it a try.  It is phenomenal.  Your whole face will tingle--in a good way.

While I cannot replicate this at home, and cannot afford to do it frequently, I do what I can.  I eschew the foam can (though I will agree that the gel was a vast improvement over the foam) and go old school at home.  I shave with a brush and soap bowl.  I consider it a more manly shave--that also might have to do with the scent of the soap.

Of course, it doesn't save time, nor is it cost effective.  However it is time and money well spent.  When I shave, I shave like a man.  Sexist?  Probably, but I revel in the masculinity of it.  If TV shows like Mad Men, or Life on Mars have shown us anything, in the past style was important.

I could spend time pointing out the eco-friendly nature of this pursuit.  Though, really it is not a pursuit or leisure activity, just a fascination with me. (That is what qualifies it for this blog) I could drone on about the lack of chemicals etc.  However, I will just stick to my original idea.  Like a black and white photograph, it is about style, and I personally like it.

2 comments:

  1. I think if you was born on 1800 or 1900 probably you would be a lumberjack or a butcher, haha, imagine you with an apron, a butcher huge knife and covered by/with (by or with?) blood! Scary...



    ReplyDelete
  2. A lumberjack or butcher are good jobs. Maybe even more impressive than English teacher.

    And at least I would have a good shave.

    ReplyDelete