Tuesday 7 August 2012

A Friend in Need...... Indeed


My friend needs a hobby.  Obviously, as a proponent of hobbies I feel like everyone needs a hobby.  My friend, however, needs one more than most.  Most people have hobbies, whether they see them as hobbies or not.  Some people follow sports, some follow TV shows (collecting their seasons either by buying the DVD's or acquiring them from some online source),  and then some take up jogging.

My friend, though athletic, doesn't want to take up a fitness trend.  There are lots of them out there now--there are quite a few infomercials dealing with that--and I know some people who have become absolutely ripped doing them.  My friend doesn't want to pursue the kinds of hobbies I do--building model trains or cars doesn't suit him.  Maybe he doesn't think he has the dexterity (maybe he doesn't) or the patience, or even an eye for colour (he's American so he would prefer I write that he doesn't have an eye for color--but it's my blog dammit, and I will write the way I want.

I know, I should probably let him pick out his own hobby.  And normally I would do this.  Really, who wants someone telling them what to do.  Well, in fact, in the end, he will choose for himself.  I just want my readers (few in number, but strong in wisdom) to give his some advice.

Left to his own devices my friend has considered some hobbies on his own, though the results have only given me cause for worry.  He has proposed indulgence in heroin and other recreational chemicals, and though he was kidding, the fact that the joke crossed his mind means he is bored and wants to do something.

His latest proposal is pipe smoking.  I can't gauge his seriousness because our Skype connection doesn't allow for really good reading of facial details.  I suspect he is serious.  Then again, do people still smoke pipes?  I don't recall seeing anyone do that in a long time.  I know that there are still tobacco shops (at least in Canada) but I thought that they were mostly for people who want to buy Cuban cigars, or rolling papers for smoking marijuana--though I do go there to buy pipe cleaners to clean my airbrush-- but they always have to root around in a drawer for them, so they can't be that popular--can they?

My friend has shown an affinity for some TV shows, but he gets bored easily.  He could become a movie watcher, but I am not sure he has the patience.  Basically he needs something that he can pickup, and drop at a whim, that won't take up too much space, won't require too much concentration or money, and doesn't involve a huge effort.   I am not sure he wants other people to be involved or not.

I have presented a negative picture of my friend, and as for thinking of a hobby that is very intentional.  I have proposed many things, only to be shot down, so I have stopped doing that.  However, my friend is a good person, a GREAT friend, incredibly moral and loyal, puts other people above himself far too often, as well as being funny and helpful.

He does crosswords, and he might be working on a Codeword book I sent him.  In addition to that he is a voracious reader, and has a huge amount of stories buried deep inside him.

I want to help, but frankly, I am stumped.

2 comments:

  1. nothing about your topic, but this is very important:

    http://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2012/08/11/brazils-ridiculous-80000-jeep-grand-cherokee/

    it took years to the global news make news about our situation of the car prices.
    here we pay the price of an Audi or a Merecedes to have a Nissan Tiida, in Canada.

    $&*(#&@#&*(&*&#!!!

    hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My students often told me how much more you have to pay... kind of ridiculous when you think about it. Maybe they don't want you to drive.

      Delete