Thursday 12 September 2013

To Buy or Not to Buy....


 
Going to a hobby shop can be such a wonderful experience.  You get to see lots of new stuff, talk to people who are interested in some of the same things as you, and get inspired to tackle a hobby project.  Why is it then, that every time I leave a hobby shop I have a moment of doubt about what I purchased?

Sometimes, it isn't about what I purchased, but rather that I spent any money at all.  It is more than likely that, in the car or in the parking lot or at some point before I entered the store,  I promised myself I would just look and not spend any money.  Funny how that rarely works out.

I think the cause goes back to my childhood.  I went to lots of garage sales and flea markets in my youth.  I would spend a long time trolling the various aisles or digging through piles.  I was the Indiana Jones of the used junk world.  The point is, I rarely came home empty handed.

The rationale goes something like this....I'm here.  I spent the gas money.  I won't be back this way for a long time.  If I get it now, I'll have it for later.  The rationalization isn't nearly as hard as you think it will be when you're in the parking lot.

I guess the only way to remove temptation is to actually remove temptation.  Then again, who's kidding who?  If I couldn't keep the first promise I mentioned, how in the world could I keep that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment