Saturday 28 September 2013

Nanoblocks Big Ben: my thoughts and videos


 
 
Building a new Nanoblocks kit is usually pretty fun.  When you get to build one you had been waiting for, things are just that much better.  Maybe it's anticipation.  Of course if the theme of the kit appeals to you, it is much better.

This kit wasn't as challenging as the Space Shuttle kit, but it was quite fun to build.  There were some new design wrinkles from the people at Kawada, or whoever designed this one.  I liked the colour scheme and I liked the nice mix of water, road, building and even a bus--though the representation of the bus seems a little out of scale.

I spent quite a bit of time on this one, mostly because my fingers are not as agile as they should be and those round pieces always seem to give me trouble.  I was enjoying myself, so I didn't really notice the time.  I had the radio on and my cat was keeping me company.  All in all it was a sunny fall morning and I relished it.

In addition to that, I took a lot of pictures of the build, showing people what it looks like step by step.  And before anyone says anything in the comments section--yes, I made a few mistakes along the way, and my application of the decals was a little poor.

Again, I found this kit quite enjoyable.  I paid more for this kit than I did for some of the other world landmarks series, but I blame that on the place I purchased it.  I probably could have held out longer, hoping for a sale.... but I am tired of missing out on something.  I was a little afraid that if I didn't strike now, I would lose the chance.  I am still kicking myself over the Maersk Lego Train.

There were quite a few pieces leftover--more than usual.  I wonder if they have been getting a lot of flack from customers about not having enough parts?  I have never been short, but it stands to reason that it might have happened to someone.  I guess I will just file them in the parts box.  I have enough extra parts now to build something....I wonder what I should build.

 
I have included links to two of my YouTube videos here.  One is the step by step build (but it's stage by stage rather than piece by piece) and the other is a 360 degree view of the finished product.   I hope you enjoy them.

 

3 comments:

  1. Have trouble with decals, so I haven't bought the Big Ben but I probably should. Love the step by step pictures - sometimes the instruction sheet isn't enough. Just finished the Great Pyramid of Giza which was pretty easy. I promised myself I wouldn't do any blog stuff until I bought a new laptop, but Nanoblocks just need to be shared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the Big Ben kit. I can't say I did a great job on the decals, but they are on there, and probably not coming off. Thanks for the comments and compliments. I don't know if I will ever do a step by step build again, but I like the results... I just don't know if I should have put less time between pictures.

    ReplyDelete