Saturday 17 August 2013

The Dresden Files



Reading is one of the joys of my life.  I love books and bookstores.  I love going to the library--since the books are free there.  I have written about reading as though it were a hobby, but I really feel that it is so much more.  It is more of lifestyle.

I have enjoyed reading Jim Butcher's Dresden Files books.  They are an interesting blend of modern mystery and fantasy.  I would not really consider myself a fantasy reader.  I have only read two of the Game of Thrones books, after all and I have not read any of the Lord of the Rings (stop gasping....I will read them someday.....I have the books, I have seen the movies...sorry.  Don't run away!)

Back to Jim Butcher.  I have read almost all of the Dresden books, though I have read them out of order and am slightly confused, I have enjoyed all of them.  I took some time to check Wikipedia and discovered that they had made a television series out of the books, and shot it in Toronto, and even had the beautiful Joanne Kelly appear for a couple of episodes (okay, I am totally smitten with her...If I knew where they filmed Warehouse 13, ....I had better stop now before the restraining order gets filed)

Now, I've lost my train of thought.....Joanne Kelly....beautiful......ah yes, the Dresden Files.  So, basically, I bought the DVD's of the series.  Sadly they only made one season.

I have watched two episodes, and I can only conclude that they had some difficulty bringing the story to the screen.  The production isn't bad, but they were certainly hampered by budget, and by trying to cram dense storylines into 40 minutes.  The acting is good, but character development seems to have also been hampered by time.  Too often the conversations were stilted because they had to give away parts of the plot.  I know writing is difficult, but that kind of thing can be tough on a series.

It seems to me that the show could have been fantastic.  There are moments when the potential is obvious.  The source material is excellent....I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

If you have the time, read the books.  If you've got even more time, check out the series.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment