Thursday 22 August 2013

The disappointment of a pathetic crossword


These days I have settled into a pattern for my commute (no I am not talking about the schedule--I never manage to catch the same bus two days in a row).  After getting on the bus I do the crossword from the previous day's newspaper (perhaps newspaper is not the right word for the free Metro newspaper), then maybe the Sudoku.  After that, I turn on my e-reader and get into whatever novel I am reading.

Though this sounds good, I am becoming rather upset with the crossword puzzle.  I guess I feel as though the puzzle is rather weak.  I don't feel challenged.  Don't get the wrong idea.  I am not a crossword puzzle snob.  I can't finish the New York Times Sunday Crossword.  I am an average crossword puzzle solver who is terrible at any clues that revolve around geography or capital cities.  However, this puzzle bothers me over little things.

What are these little things?

This puzzle seems to think that using possessive s on every clue is a good thing to do.  I don't know how many clues I have read that included phrases like "Mr Lenon's" or "limo driver's"--and those are the good ones.

Really, I think the puzzle creator is being lazy.  Since I am doing the free newspaper crossword, I can't expect much.... but I shouldn't be fed a constant diet of crap.  At least once a week, I would like to be faced with an interesting puzzle.

I think tomorrow I will crack open my book of logic puzzles instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment