Saturday 24 January 2015

Can You Ever Have Enough Tools?


Okay, if I wasn't sure before, I am sure now.  I have a very bad habit of buying tools for my hobbies.  I went to the hobby store, planning strongly to resist any purchasing of tools and magazines.  I even took a friend--you know, don't go swimming without a buddy, hoping that they would help me be the voice of reason, or at least restraint.

No such luck.

I don't mean to blame my friend.  They would have restrained me if I had asked.  I just didn't ask and proceeded to the checkout very quickly.  I am my own worst enemy....I guess.

On the bright side, I do think I made a good purchase.  I have a lot of train buildings to assemble and not one of them has a square edge.  What?  That's right.  I have to assemble about 20 buildings for my train layout, and not one of them has a straight edge.  You see, to facilitate the manufacturing process, the moulds all have "draft" edges, so they will pop out of the machine easily.  Hmmmm?  You'd think with today's technology there would be another way around this--but what do I know of injection moulding?  In the end, I have to sand the edges until they are 90 degrees.

You might remember a post where I created my own sanding board.  That worked well, but provided no way to evaluate my work.  This tool should do the same thing, and allow me to be a bit more uniform.

My friend, and several people at the shop, said I was making a wise purchase.  They explained that while I didn't need the tools, the proper tools make things go so much easier.

Any thoughts.

1 comment: