Sunday 28 October 2012

Hobbies I would take up: The Bottom Five (part 5--vlogging)


I am a big fan of YouTube.  I have subscribed to more than 15 people, and I check it daily.  Mostly, I watch jvloggers (as we call the people who make video blogs from Japan).  Having lived in Japan, most of what they show me isn't really new.  I've eaten most of the foods they talk about, purchased beer and other drinks at vending machines they talk about, been to apartments much like the ones they show, and shopped at quite a few of the stores they tour around.  However, Japan is a country full of surprises, so sometimes they surprise me.  Sometimes, they really surprise me.  That is what makes wading through some of it worthwhile.

I started blogging because some of these jvloggers have blogs that are companions to their jvlogs, or are done in the same tone as their vlogs.  It got me interested, and now I have my own blog (2 in fact, and maybe someday soon 3).  Without having stumbled across these jvloggers, I wouldn't be writing this today.

I guess why I haven't vlogged comes down to several reasons.  I don't have a digital video camera (or iPhone).  I could buy one, of course, but it just doesn't seem like a priority, mainly because of the other two reasons.  I would like to put my voice on these vlogs, but probably not my face.   I don't know if I would be self-conscious, or nervous or what, but the prospect of appearing on camera (and not acting--because if you gave me the lines, I think I could do it) and adlibbing seems hard.  Lastly, Japan is interesting, exotic, and full of surprises.  South-western Ontario seems less so.  If you've never been here, there might be something that really wakes you up (when my students see snow falling for the first time they get pretty excited, and when they see the fast hard pace of hockey they get excited), but I am not sure I could really get behind that.  My students could make Canada vlogs and that would be cool.  Me..... not sure.

Maybe someday I will find the impetus for this, but I don't think it will be anytime soon.

If you want to see some of the jvloggers I mentioned, please go to YouTube and check out the following:
(Most of them have entertained me greatly, and even infomred me.  I appreciate their work and have no reservation recommending them whatsoever)

tokyocooney

rodgerswan

discountsausage

brotherannie

BusanKevin

nihonjenn

Postascribe

TwilightsSerenity

 

Through these jvloggers, you can find many others (if this is your thing).

 

No comments:

Post a Comment