Sunday 17 August 2014

RIP Television


 
Is television finished?  Of course it isn't, but are we in the midst of its decline?

I was out riding my bike around today, trying to decided if I should buy a new TV.  I found a couple that I am interested in, and if I bought them today, I wouldn't have to pay tax.  I couldn't decide if I should spend 900 bucks on a new TV and sound equipment, or if I should save the money for the cool bike that I want to buy.  (feel free to comment--but I have about 1 hour to make this decision).

While riding I stopped to talk to a woman who was also riding, but taking a rest.  She mentioned that she loved watching Netflix on her laptop, and was planning on throwing out her TV.  I didn't ask her if she would give it to me, but not that I think about it, maybe I should have.

The point being, I know a lot of people would rather pay a small fee and their internet provider rather than traditional cable.  If they had sports on Netflix, I am sure a lot of us would do the same.  If they make more TV series for Netflix only, would more people rather watch them?  I don't have the answers to these questions--and I am still wrestling with the TV debate, but I guess only time will tell.   Maybe this is the beginning of the end of television as we know it.

2 comments:

  1. I have traditional cable in Tulsa and gets 100's of channels - everything except the premium ones. In Southern California, I watch TV through my computer or DVD player. I have Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Acorn. For some networks like CBS and ESPN you have to go through their websites, but it's free. Hulu is about $6 per month and Acorn is $5. Don't remember how much Netflix is, but even with the Internet access fee, it is still 1/10th what I pay in Tulsa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read this one also a few months ago

    ReplyDelete