Saturday 9 November 2013

Get an Early Jump on Christmas


 
 
Though I might complain about Christmas being foisted on us way too early, I still think Christmas is important to the hobbyist.  This is the chance to prod someone (gently or not so gently) into getting us what we want.  We can also do our best to try and entice someone into a hobby by selecting a gift that might start a lifetime of hobbying (I will touch on this in a later post).  And if all else fails, we can always justify a bigger expense by telling ourselves (and who ever else we might have to justify the expense to) that this is a Christmas present.

If your special someone is an efficient shopper, they might already be looking for your gift.  You might need to start dropping hints as early as tonight's dinner.  Some of you might need to start working on that list.  Some of you (the indecisive type) should start making decisions as to what you want.  If you don't, maybe there won't be anything under the tree.

If your someone special is a last minute panic shopper, well then you've got time.  Lucky you.  Of course if you aren't around at the moment of that last minute panic, and don't have your list on your smartphone when they call..... well then, too bad.

The funny thing I find is that whenever you ask people what they want, they often don't know.  I know this is not true.  If I asked you for ten things you would buy right now if I set you free in a hobby shop with a $50 (or whatever amount) gift card, and said you had ten minutes to get something or the car would expire....I am sure you could get something.  The problem is that people thing a gift has to be something different.  It doesn't.  A gift is something free.

I know, a gift should be something "you wouldn't buy for yourself."  What a silly idea.  If I wouldn't buy it for myself, I wouldn't want it.  A gift is something that you want, but can't justify spending your own money on.  When it's someone else's money, it should be easy.

My advice, write down everything you want.  Just that you want it, not that you would or wouldn't spend the money on it, not that you are or are not going to buy it.  When you're done, look it over.  Wouldn't it be nice if someone gave you anything from that list?  If you're smart, before letting a loved one look over the list you might want to organize it by price, or bundle a bunch of things together that might fit their budget.  Either way, now you've got something to tell them to get you.

No comments:

Post a Comment