Sunday 30 September 2012

Analog vs Digital


It has been a couple of months and three books since I started using the Kobo.  Now, there should be a moment of reflection.

The obvious advantages of the Kobo really seem to be weight.  Compared to the second book in the Game of Thrones, the Kobo is much, much lighter.  I started this book on Friday morning, just after the bus left my stop,  and by the time I got to the subway station my arms were tired.  I am regretting not buying the Kobo version.  I might have to, just to save myself.

Currently, I have about 21 books on my Kobo.  Without adding any memory, I should be able to add about 79 more.  I haven't actually purchased any of these books, relying instead on the benefits of public domain,  I am pretty sure I can easily find those 79 books.  Good thing I like the classics.

The downside of the Kobo falls into two categories.  Durability and capability.  Both of these are affected by my own responsibility.   The Kobo itself seems durable enough, but what if I drop it?  I tend to get sleepy on a warm bus, after a long day of work, followed by reading.  As far as capability goes, I really need to read the instruction files.  Currently I have the font set pretty large, making it easy to read, but making the chapters much longer than they might be in book form.  I am pretty sure that Dr Fu Manchu isn't six hundred pages long.

So, two months in.... I am enjoying the Kobo, but still enjoying the analog version of books as well.





4 comments:

  1. a friend of mine, went to Las Vegas for free, paid by the company that he works, last week. And he told me that he got an iPad 3 in a raffle, it was raffled in a thousand people and just 3 ipads were raffled. He got one... and he is a person who doesnt need it... because if he wanted, he would bought it because he has money...

    and my mother says a expression, maybe just a Brazilian expression, that is: the devil ever shits on the biggest bunch.

    so, when he got the ipad I remembered this post.
    you should went to Las Vegas too! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to go to Las Vegas. My friends and I were thinking of going when we turned 40. That didn't happen, so maybe when we turn 50.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Las Vegas, what happens there, stay there, right? Did I say it right? hehe

    ReplyDelete